Friday, May 6, 2011

Journaling Outside the Book: Canvas

I haven't painted a canvas since my fall and winter commissions, so with paintings for a juried show due on Monday, I decided to transfer my mixed media journaling techniques to an 11" x 14" canvas.


I began by applying some heavy bodied gesso in several places, and followed that with a layer of water soluble pastels.  I decided to apply a strip of newspaper for added interest near the bottom, and as I tore a section of the paper, I noted that it was a high school honor roll.   

"Honor Wasn't Enough" Mixed canvas by An'Angelia Thompson

I started thinking about all those things I learned so long ago: study hard, get good grades, be the best you can be.  That was the way to the "American Dream".  I thought about all of the hardworking people who are now, beyond any act of their own, unemployed with nothing to show for their efforts except quiet desperation, unpaid bills, and in some cases, the death of their spirit.


I began adding layers of acrylic paint, and as the layers were born, so was the face that emerged on my canvas.  So that's the evolution of my first canvas using my journaling techniques.    It comes from a reflection into the madness of today's society and how much has changed since I was on that high school honor roll.  I know it's not the optimistic, colorful work that you're accustomed to seeing from me, but sooner or later the unpleasant things of this life work their way to the surface and spill on to the paper or canvas.  


I don't know about you, but I'm hoping the next page I decide to tear from the newspaper comes from the gardening section.  Life is short, dear friends.  Remember to "Celebrate, LOVE, and Create!"

1 comment:

  1. A stirring canvas Angelia, thought-provoking.
    You do such great faces. i hope it does well in the art show.
    Lee:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails