Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tuesday Tips and Techniques: Meditate Through Mandalas

Mandalas are the perfect format for creativity when you have a lot on your mind.  Mandala is a Sanskrit word meaning "circle", and they have been used in many religions (most notably the Hindu and Buddhist religions) for centuries.


I have found using the mandala to be a great way to quiet my mind.  By focusing on the design and color of the mandala, intuition takes over and energy is directed in the creation.


Begin by tracing the perimeter of any round object that you have handy, such as a plate, bowl, or compact disc.  I typically begin by sketching the outside of the design working my way toward the center.  I like using colored pencils although any media of your choosing will work.


Using a central figure and working your way out can also be beneficial.  Of these three mandalas that I created this past weekend, the final mandala brought clarity and meaning to the things that had been on my mind.

There are many wonderful sites on the Internet where you can find more information on mandalas.  To read a brief history of the mandala, look HERE.  I hope you give mandala making a try as you continue on your journey to "Celebrate, LOVE, and Create!"

5 comments:

  1. i just LOVE the colors!!! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful centering pieces! I am working with Judith Cornell's Mandala Healing as we speak. Will be giving a Mandala workshop in Aug, so I am really resonating with your beauties here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a natural-born and wonderful teacher--did I ever tell you that? Can't wait until class tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colours and designs Angelia. I love doing mandalas but have always gone from the inside out. I like the idea of doing it the other way. Really lovely post :)
    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails