Monday, August 27, 2012

Monday's Musings

God's Little Creatures

I never cease to be amazed by the array of little creatures that live among us.  Most times, they remain hidden from our sight, but and then, they appear in plain view and I'm fascinated by their beauty and uniqueness.  If I'm lucky, they hang around long enough for a photo shoot!

I spotted this baby praying mantis when I was watering my plants.  Keith captured this fun photo.  You'll see more of him a little later.


This colorful little guy is a webworm moth.  They live in honey locust trees and there are some behind our house.  We've been in this house for almost 30 years and have never seen one before. Keith got a great pic considering this little moth was barely an inch long.


This katydid (or leaf bug) hovered above our back door for an entire afternoon and well into the evening.  I guess he needed a meditation break!  Nick took this photo for me, and as an added bonus, he showed me the benefits of using the manual function on my camera.  I've been playing around with it, so hopefully my photo taking efforts will improve!


Not all of God's little creatures are beautiful, but they are wonderful.  I found this warrior-looking cicada bug spinning around in circles on the cement pad in front of our garage.  Newly emerged, he was trying to dry his wings.  The pad bakes in the hot sun all day and Keith found the cicada later that evening.  He apparently met his demise from the sweltering heat of the pad.


As foretold, here are some more mantis photos created from Keith's original photo using Pixlr.  I didn't spend any time reading about how to use the software - I simply uploaded the photo and began playing.



Keep your eyes open for God's little creatures, and let them spark your creative muse.  You may just see my little mantis friend on a journal page one day!

CELEBRATE * LOVE * CREATE

6 comments:

  1. The insect world is amazing! There was a praying mantis living in one of my window boxes a couple years ago, and I have not been lucky enough to see another one since.

    We have cicadas making a racket here at the end of summer...they are rather creepy (and large!) so I'm quite happy NOT to see them!

    I love what you've done with the mantis. Especially the last one, the purple and green are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Magpie! I've got to say the praying mantis creeps me out a little, but I'm happy to have them around. They are fascinating! Our cicadas have finally quieted as autumn fast approaches.

      Delete
  2. Love your buggy post- I too think that our little creepy crawlies are amazing- except maybe for mosquitoes!
    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I Have to agree with you on the mosquitoes, Stephanie :o)

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails