Wednesday, June 16, 2010

New Techniques & The Intergalactic Art Federation

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I had a dream at least 6 months ago, but I can't stop thinking about it.  I dreamed there was a typical, saucer shaped UFO hoovering about 20 feet above my driveway at the back of the house.  In my dream, I was outdoors and came from behind our garage to see the craft hoovering.  Well, I wasn't scared, but I was a little anxious and made my way quickly to the back door and inside.  I didn't really see anything so I walked through my house towards the front door.  I reached the front just in time to look out the porch windows and see a VERY tall (7-8 ft) alien female gliding back toward the ship.  I walked unto the porch and found a pamphlet on the floor.  It was an invitation to join "The Intergalactic Art Federation"!  This is why I can't get a good night's sleep.  My imagination never stops!



Anyway, my new favorite creative tool are these Reeves Water Soluble Wax Pastels.  I picked them up at our local craft store for about $6.  They offer a lot of bang for the buck and they're forcing me to step out of my usual methods.  You can use them just like crayons and scratch into them to see the paint beneath (sgrafitto) or wet them and move them around on the paper like watercolors.  You can also dip the pastel directly into water and then use it on your page.  I've been applying an acrylic background, applying the pastel randomly and then blending with not water, but white craft acrylic.  I LOVE the results.  It locks in the wax feel, and although I haven't tried it yet, I'm sure I can then write over the pastel with a marker quite easily.  This page is a result of using this technique.  Although the creature on this page looks nothing like the alien female in my dream, I can't help but think of  "the Federation" when I look at it.
 

So, the next time you're looking for something new to spark your creativity, give these wax pastels a try, I think you'll like them, and maybe the Intergalactic Art Federation will stop by your house with an invitation!

1 comment:

  1. Great page - so colorful. I was wondering... do the pages stick together when you use this medium?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails