Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Playing with Watercolors

I spent some time looking at old Christmas photos this morning, and my favorites were of the boys making cookies.  There would be flour and sprinkles from one end of the kitchen to the other, and our dog, Roxy, and our tiger cat, Jake, would be nearby waiting for the opportunity to scarf down whatever hit the floor.

Those were good times, and viewing those photos triggered the memory of the one and only gingerbread house I ever made for the boys.  One or both of them wanted a gingerbread house "really bad".  I had the presence of mind to purchase the ready made gingerbread pieces from a local bakery, and I remember presenting the finished house to them on Christmas morning to their delight and amazement. The only other thing I remember about that house is royal frosting.  Royal frosting. Royal pain. Just sayin'!



I still love the look of a gingerbread house dripping in candy, so I decided to make one today.  This one was much easier because I made it out of paper and watercolors.  It was the most fun I ever had building a gingerbread house, and my gingerbread people seem to approve.

If you've never made a gingerbread house, I think you'll find this method to be a pleasing alternative.  If you do decide on an edible version, I'd get one already made and skip on making the royal frosting!  Either way, "Happy Creating!"

2 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angelia;
    We have purchased them in the past but I think my boys are finally "over" getting a gingerbread house, at least I think they are. I love your version though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails