Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Tuesday Tips and Techniques: Let Your Muse PLAY!

So most of the holiday festivities are winding down and you finally find the time to turn your attention back to journaling.  Where do you begin?  It seems like weeks since you picked up a paintbrush (maybe it really has been weeks!), and you can't remember what you were working on.  How do you get those creative juices flowing again?  Let your muse come out and play!

Begin with a blank spread or some of those pages that you've prepped with left over paint.  Remember easel painting in kindergarten or 1st grade?  So does your muse.  Prop your journal up or use a table top easel - especially if you tend to work with your journal flat on the table.


Let your muse choose whatever colors appeal to her, and put blobs of those colors on your palette. I use a paper plate for this.  Grab a brush and a large container of water and you're ready to begin.


Pick a color and begin applying paint to the page.  No thought.  No rhyme.  No reason.  Just enjoy the process of applying paint to the pages.  Let your hand travel in it's own way.


Rinse your brush.  Choose another color and continue the same process.  Enjoy the movement of your brush on the pages.


Continue with successive layers, applying paint wet-on-wet, or wet-on-dry.  It doesn't matter.  Just keep applying paint.

Use the paint you have on hand.  Here, I'm using tube acrylics, but craft acrylics would work quite nicely too.

Don't be afraid to paint over areas that look "finished".  Just keep applying paint.  Enjoy the swirling motion of dipping and twirling your brush into the paint.  Paint as wildly as your muse dictates!


Don't worry.  Your muse will let you know when she has finished and is ready to move on to the next set of pages.


Add additional paint to your palette.  Add additional colors.  Get as swirly and twirly as you can with your brush, and look at just how luscious that paint looks.


Before you know it, your muse may even produce something that looks recognizable.  Expand upon it if you want.  Here I've spotted two tulips in an Italian vase, and I added the pear as my muse went scurrying off to leave me to finish.  Just like a kindergartner to leave me with the clean-up!

I hope you'll give this a try.  It's great fun, and you'll find that your creative muse is more than willing to come and play when there's no pressure or expectations.

I hope you're enjoying this holiday season, and I hope you're finding more time to "Celebrate, LOVE, and Create in your journal!"


1 comment:

  1. I love this! I've gotten so stuck in perfection while working on a few Christmas gifts, lol! I think this is just what I need to get me creating freely again :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails