Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tuesday Tips & Techniques: Playing with Paper Featuring Barb Owen!

Day 4 of My Vacation: 

Making Collage Papers with Barb Owen

Day four of my vacation in Missouri was spent as an art play date with Barb Owen.  I met artist and author of "Normal Doesn't Live Here Anymore", Barb, online about 3 years ago, and we became fast friends.  This was our first opportunity to meet each other face to face.  Needless to say, we were thrilled!

We played with several different methods of creating papers to use as backgrounds and in collage.  As a bonus, we also took a brief side trip using fire.  I'm happy to report that all of my fingers remain intact!

The UStream videos total about 3 hours, but I think you'll find our day entertaining and even maybe informative.  I'll be doing a tutorial for each of the processes in the coming weeks.  In the meantime, pour your favorite beverage, pull up a chair, and get ready to be inspired.

I've also included images of the goodies I received from Barb, images of the wonderful papers I made on our play date, and the pages from my travel journal that I created from our play date.  Thanks for a wonderful day, Barb.  I had a blast!  Be sure to check out the other great UStreams that Barb has recorded.  You won't believe how many creative ideas my creative sister shares!  Also, be sure to visit her blog: The Art and Soul of Barb Owen.  It's been a few weeks since she last posted, but I spoke with her yesterday and she assures me she'll be posting again very soon.  Right, Barb?



Video streaming by Ustream


Video streaming by Ustream
Barb streams live on Fridays at 2:00pm EST.  Stop in and tell her hello - there are a great group of creatives who visit there each week, and they'll all be glad to see you!

Goodies From Barb

Barb gave me the most lovely goodies when I visited.  This journal she gave me is amazing!  It's packed full of her homemade papers using the techniques we played with during my visit.






I can't stop rubbing the heart embellished spine filled with wonderful fibers of every color and texture. 

Barb also gave me pages of quotes.  Don't you just adore quotes?  I'm especially fond of the quote Barb gave me from her own book.  Isn't this old typewriter font great?



She gave me burnt brown paper embellishments that she made...


And these beautiful polymer clay embellishments.


Barb also gifted me a stack of ATC sized prints of her original artwork.  They're gorgeous!


The Papers I Made

I can't begin to tell you how much fun I had making these papers with Barb!  I only wish you could see how truly luscious and glittery they are - the camera (and my photography) just doesn't do them justice!  Here are the first papers we made using the resist technique with glue and Scribbles fabric paint.


These are the paste papers....


and these are the papers I made using the stamping technique using paper towels, acrylics, stamps and stencils.  SO much fun to do!


My Travel Journal Pages - Day 4

Here are my travel journal pages from my day with Barb.  They aren't 100% complete, but very close!  I used some of the paper that I made on our date, a couple burnt brown paper embellishments, the "holey tape" that Barb generously shared with me, and photos of our day that I printed from the computer.









I hope you've enjoyed today's Tuesday Tips and Techniques post.  We have a wonderful online community of creatives, and if you get the opportunity to meet some of your online friends in person, I hope you'll make the effort.  There's just nothing like being "face-to-face" after an electronic relationship!

See you next time.  You still have time to enter my giveaway if you haven't done so already.  Instructions are HERE.  Scroll to the bottom of the post to find out how to enter.

CELEBRATE * LOVE * CREATE

15 comments:

  1. what a wonderful, juicy post. Thank you for sharing this. How wonderful to have made such a creative friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! I'm glad you've enjoyed your visit :o)

      Delete
  2. Oh my, this looks delicious, the colours, the patterns, ... I only saw a part of the video now but I'll watch it from beginning to end. The journal you received looks wonderful. Lucky you! Looking forward to your tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to play some more, Denthe! I still have the backs of some of my papers to complete and I want to make MORE xox

      Delete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the videos had to do it in 2 days cause i started around 11pm! but it was wonderful watching you & Carol make beautiful papers for collage and art journals! Thank you SO much for sharing this terrific art session with us! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO glad you enjoyed it Diane! We had a blast together :o)

      Delete
  4. I wrote the comment Pretty work! and then sat here like a crack addict watching both videos back to back like I have nothing else to do in the world!

    Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Deborah! I've done the very same thing dozens of times. We just can't help ourselves; The Muse will NOT be ignored! LOL

      Delete
  5. INCREDIBLE!!
    Such inspiration, love all the "artsy" goodness here... WOW! :]
    Absolutely love your day #4 journal pages. So colorful & alive!!!
    Thank you for sharing all your talents, great art techniques, and all these photos on the subject in hand.
    I had a wonderful visit here today. ~xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, April! It's my pleasure to share with all my wonderfully creative "sisters" xox

      Delete
  6. My sweet friend! Didn't we have the absolutely BEST time ever that day?? I didn't want it to end! I hope we can do it again - at your house next time. Hmmmmm?? Too much fun. . . just too much fun! Through your post I was privileged to relive the whole thing. Thank you, my true soul sister. :-)

    BTW, I WILL get back on my blog. I will, I will, I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THE best, Barb! I would LOVE for you to come visit! I have your room waiting for you - complete with AC :o) Thank YOU for a marvelous day!

      Delete
  7. I can tell that the day was fantastic! I love all of the goodies and your art journal,the colors are so alive! Most of all I love the notion of connecting with another artist as you learn technigues and share art- i look forward to seeing the videos when I'm on a pc :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit today, Lydia! I think you'll enjoy our stream :o)

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails