Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tuesday Tips and Techniques: Manifest Your Music Muse

FIND A GREAT, NEW TUNE
When you need a direction for your journaling, manifest your music muse.  Being somewhat of a closet musician, I like listening to different genres of music and discovering new bands.  When I don't having anything in particular I want to journal about, I find new music to listen to and I let my music muse play in my journal.


PUT THE SONG ON "REPEAT" AND BEGIN PAINTING AND DRAWING
The next pages in my journal were already prepped with left over acrylic paint from another project, and I thought this was a perfect place to begin.  I put the song (playing now), "If You Touch Me I'm Going to Scream, by My Morning Jacket,  on "repeat" and let it play four times while I completed my spread. Thinking of nothing in particular, I just let the rhythm and lyrics permeate my subconscious as I began adding layers of water soluble pastels and gesso to the page.


DEVELOP THE SHAPES THAT EMERGE
As I added more and more color and gesso to the page, I began to see shapes emerging and I began using a scribbling technique as I placed marks and lines on the page to the beat of the music.  


ADD DETAILS AND REFLECT ON YOUR PAGES
As I added the final details to my pages I suddenly realized that they reminded me of the chemotherapy I had undergone such a long time ago.  It's nothing that I've thought about consciously for a very long time, so I was surprised to find my subconscious revisiting this all but forgotten time in my life.  


The thing I like most about this technique is the element of playfulness evoked by just playing with art materials.  This technique also tends to release experimentation as you explore new ways of using the mediums you have at hand.


Whatever you're doing in your journal today, put on some music, crank it up and manifest your music muse.  It's a great way to play as you "Celebrate, LOVE, and Create!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails