Saturday, January 28, 2012

Weekend Journal


This unfinished journal spread began with poured paint and the front of a Christmas card.  Can you spot the Christmas card?


And speaking of poured paint, remember this spread from Tuesday?  I found a woman living in this page, along with another woman who has her back to us, and a seated figure to the right.


I did a rough outline of her features, and after a few adjustments, I painted her by doing a blue undertone painting.  I like the way that she turned out so much, that I've decided to leave her "as is".  Now to complete the rest of the pages.


These pages were completed in my class this morning and also began as poured paint pages.  I used violet and crimson for paint pouring, but as you can see, I ended up a different color palette all together.


She's quite unlike my usual style.  I couldn't help but think of Modigliani as I began sketching her features that I could see through the poured paint.  I fell in love with Modigliani's women in high school.  I was thinking of studying him for my next "Messin' with the Masters" series.  Maybe that's why she showed up on this page!

Sketchbook Update

I haven't been sketching every day - but almost!  I tend to do two or three drawings at a time though.


Through the miracle of DVR, I'm able to record shows and pause them when something catches my eye.  Here are sketches from a show called "Concrete Artist".


I thought this famous actor would be easy to capture - WRONG!  None of the attempts capture him at all, even thought I think I came close to capturing his eyes in one attempt.  I'm not going to give up though.  He's  "larger than life", so I think I'll have better luck trying to use a full page.  Any inkling who it might be?


I've been practicing more with my pastel pencils, learning what they can and can not do.  I'm really enjoying working with them.  I'm betting I'll enjoy them even more if I use pastel paper (that has a better tooth for grabbing on to the pastel.)


So that's about it for this week.  I did venture down to the beach one day (Monday, I think).  It was sunny and warm, and hard to believe that it's January.  I had a nice walk at the beach, and of course, there was beautiful beach glass to be collected.




Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and I'll see you again on Monday with mandala number 14, is it?  Over the hump for winter - YAY!  

CELEBRATE * LOVE* CREATE

1 comment:

  1. I loved looking at all your sketches and your art journal. Thank you for sharing so much of your work. I really enjoy pastel pencils too. You should head over to blog to see the figure drawings I posted. They are sad looking for now, but I can only improve from here!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails