Monday, May 28, 2012

Monday's Musings

Most Memorial Day weekends in our family are quiet and uneventful, but this Memorial Day weekend has been one to remember.  My brother, Antwon, and Roberta were married.


They've been "married" for seven years now, but this weekend made it "official".  I've considered Roberta my sister all these years anyway, but I guess I'm old fashioned - I'm really liking the "official" part!


My "unofficial" daughter-in-law, Heather, made the wedding cake and catered all the food.  The cake was cassata, and it was the only wedding cake in my long history of attending weddings that I've seen literally devoured!   Everything was all absolutely delicious!  We feasted all afternoon long on chicken, pulled pork, pasta salad, garden salad, baked beans, parsley potatoes.....the list goes on and on.


I love my brother and sister.   I feel very fortunate that we're all close.  We've always got each other's backs even though we aren't constantly in touch with each other.


When we do get together, it's always a great time.  Our juvenile antics keep us entertained for hours, and all of that silliness and laughter become memories that make me smile.  I don't think we'll ever grow old.


Weddings are special occasions not just for the bride and groom, but for everyone in attendance.  So much love gathered in one place is a gentle reminder that the only really important thing in life is the love of family and friends.


I'm thrilled that I finally got to meet all my new sisters in person!  Family is such a beautiful thing....


and to see the happy newlyweds really warms my heart.


We were back at the cabin yesterday for my "new niece", Jen's, college graduation party.  I strolled back to the pond that served as a backdrop to Saturday's wedding.  It was quiet, serene and peaceful, and I couldn't help but smile as I remembered the joyous ceremony that had just hours ago taken place.


The hot, humid day gifted us with a sudden downpour of rain.  As we all huddled under the shelter of the tent, I couldn't help but think that just as we seek shelter from the rain, we seek the shelter of our loved ones when "storms" enter our own personal lives.  I thought about how lucky I am to have so many wonderful family and friends to seek shelter with during those bad times.


And when the sun broke through as it was still pouring, I reflected on the fact that there really is a bright spot to focus on even when times are tough.  If we can only change our perspective, we can look past the rain and into the sun....


and realize that just as the flowers need rain as well as sun to bloom, we also need those challenging moments in life to help us grow beyond where we are today.

I hope you've had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend, and I hope you are blessed to have a shelter of loving family and friends to help you through your own storms.

CELEBRATE * LOVE * CREATE

6 comments:

  1. Great post; I love the analogy of storms in our lives- so beautifully worded. And your pictures are gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angelia, I love this post, the pictures, your analogies - just beautiful!
    And I have to tell you that stories like this are part of what inspired me and gave me strength to create a strong, loving bond with my own children. To make our family a shelter and strength - even if we only had each other. I wouldn't have known what that 'looked' like if others in my life hadn't shared...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to share your wonderful thoughts, Cynthia. I'm happy to know that others share the same viewpoint. Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It sure was, Cheryl! Thanks so much for commenting :o)

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails