Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tuesday Tips and Techniques: Journal Every Day

We are all far more busy with life than most of us care to be.  Sometimes it seems almost impossible to find even five minutes for yourself!  Here are five tips to help you incorporate journaling into your life every day!

Prep Multiple Pages


When you have a significant block of time to devote to your journal, start some backgrounds with paint and paper.  When you get ready to journal again, you'll already have  something on the page to stimulate your creative juices.


Carry a Small Notebook

It seems like we spend a lot of time just waiting.  We wait for doctor's appointments.  We wait for our kids after practice for one thing or another - (well, I don't have to do that anymore!).  Make the time go faster by pulling out your notebook.  Doodle, write song lyrics, make lists, jot down ideas, or write swear words.  You can tear out your page and incorporate it into your journal as inspiration.

Journal at the Same Time


Try to journal at the same time every day.  Just like any other routine, it takes approximately 30 days to establish a habit.   It's especially difficult to develop a routine this time of year with gardening, sports, and other impromptu social events taking place, but give it a try anyway.  Even if it's for just 5 minutes, it's 5 minutes of you time.  Stop.  Breathe.  Reflect.  Create.

Journal with Your Camera

It only takes a couple seconds to snap a photo of something that inspires you.  Take those pics and print them out for use in your journal, or as inspiration for a page.


Journal in Your Mind

Even when you absolutely can't find 5 minutes to pull out your journal and work on the pages, you can absolutely create pages in your mind.  Take note of what you're doing throughout the day.  What emotions did you feel?  What moment in time caused you to pause - whether it was positive or negative.  Did you remember a dream when you awoke?  How can you translate those feelings to the page?  What colors would convey your emotion?  What patterns or symbols would work?


I hope these tips help and encourage you in your creativity.  It isn't always possible to create pages in your journal every day,  but it is possible to create artistic expression every day - even if it's just in your mind.

CELEBRATE * LOVE * CREATE

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb! Now if only I can implement them. I think I may have the list of swear words down...LOL

      Delete
  2. OH yeah, I'm with Barb and think you have some awesome tips. I do art every day, but not nearly as much in my journal as I should. I would like to do more so I can look back and reflect what my days were all about....not just a blur of them all running together.
    Peace and Love, Dar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Dar! Thank you :o) I know what you mean about "a blur of them running together". I'm so there and need to break free of that!

      Delete
  3. Great tips! I'll keep it in mind once the 29 faces challenge is over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you do, Denthe! I'll be over soon to catch up with your fabulous faces :o)

      Delete
  4. Fabulous tips Angelia... thank you for sharing... love your gorgeous art journal page... and the backgrounds you created... it really is all about using time wisely... thanks for the reminder....

    Hugs
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I had to employ some of these techniques myself this week! :o)

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails