Monday, May 7, 2012

Weekend Journal and Monday Musings



IMPROMPTU


adj.
1. Prompted by the occasion rather than being planned in advance: an impromptu party.
2. Spoken, performed, done, or composed with little or no preparation; extemporaneous: a few impromptu remarks. See Synonyms atextemporaneous.
adv.
With little or no preparation; extemporaneously.
n.
1. Something, such as a speech, that is made or done extemporaneously.
2. Music A short composition, especially for the piano, performed in an offhand or extemporized style.



And so went the weekend and the "Weekend Journal".  Impromptu was the definite theme over the last three days!  There was an impromptu picnic dinner at the beach, impromptu (and much needed) trimming and mulching of landscaping, and an impromptu cookout with my brother and soon-to-be sister-in-law.  I even squeezed in some impromptu art, and yes, here is your impromptu, combined Weekend Journal and Monday's Musing post!






The week was no less busy with planned activities, such as the graduation celebration for the women of the SMART (Single Mothers Achieving Real Triumph) program.  Dr. Charleyse S. Pratt, Director of Learning Communities Programs and Partnerships at Cleveland State University was the inspirational, guest speaker for the event.  I was deeply moved by both her story of achievement and her no-nonsense perspective of life and education.

SMART PROGRAM


It always gives me an enormous amount of pleasure to facilitate the end-of-year art project with the women of the SMART program, and this year was no exception.  I met with them several weeks ago for the art workshop where they made flower magnets illustrating the "seed of change" that prompted them to go to college.  After sharing their story with us, they each ceremoniously placed their magnet on the magnetized painting that I was commissioned to create three years ago. After the ceremony, the painting is returned to it's home in the Women's Center and all of the blossom magnets (from the previous years, too), are hung.  It's always a heartwarming, uplifting tradition.




My heartfelt congratulations go to each and every one of these women who have successfully completed their first year of college!

HOLMES COUNTY

Keith and I celebrated our April 30th, 35th wedding anniversary in the Holmes County area - where the world's largest Amish population lives.  We spent Friday and Saturday nights in a fantastic log cabin that we really enjoyed. It was so good to get away, and it was so peaceful there that I quite frankly, did NOT want to return home on Sunday.  Here are some of the many images from that weekend.


The first stop - Cindy's Diner.  Looking out the window while we await our burgers and fries.  We love this little diner!

The cabin where we stayed, Harvest Cabin.  It's one of the two cabins at Fields of Home.  This cabin has a loft where there's a toilet, hot tub and bed.






A typical Amish meal.  I don't think any further explanation is needed for this photo!  This was our meal at our favorite restaurant off the beaten path, Beachy's.  We had an incredible dinner buffet at Mrs. Yoder's Kitchen, too.   How good was it?  There were as many horses and buggys as cars and a 45 minute wait.  Worth every second.


Our view from the front porch of the cabin.  I could have watched the horses grazing all day long.

Photo by Keith

Photo by Keith

More photos from the surrounding area.  The beauty of Holmes County really makes me speechless.  I never missed the Internet for one second...

Photo by Keith

Photo by Keith


ART AND ORIOLES

Meanwhile.......back at "the ranch" my life is sadly devoid of horses now, but not to despair - the orioles have returned right on schedule! They arrive promptly on May 1st, and I flee to the store to get grape jelly.  I haven't gotten any pics yet, but I did create a journal spread just for them.


Well, I think that's about all for today.  The sun has come out after a cool, drizzly day, and I hear the orioles feeding.  Speaking of feeding, it's also time to think about making some dinner.  Has anyone seen Mrs. Yoder around here?

CELEBRATE * LOVE * CREATE

2 comments:

  1. What a fun yummy weekend. Would like Mrs Youder to come to my house when She leaves yours. What a wonderful way to celebrate 35 years together, & may you have many many more . I love your colors in your journal to the Orioles. Wow, your Ranch is looking very good from here.
    Happy Painting
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the anniversary well wishes, Linda! I really like the way the oriole pages turned out, and I think The Ranch is looking pretty good too - at least in the front! I hear the back 40 calling for attention though. :o)

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails