Sunday, May 20, 2012

Weekend Journal

I can sum up this week in one word - BUSY!  I judged an art show and attended the reception, worked the Senior Day at the Mall, and attended a silk painting workshop - and that was all before Wednesday!  Coupled with vegetable and flower planting, deck staining and spider bite tending (yes- I got a nasty spider bite on the back of my leg about mid-thigh.  Trust me, you DON'T want one!), it left little no time for playing in my journal.

It was a fun art-filled week none the less.  This was the second time I was asked to judge the Creative Artist Association's art show, and there were some beautiful pieces this year.  Here are a few that won awards and honorable mentions.





The silk painting workshop was AWESOME!  I met some great gals and really had fun learning this new (for me) technique.  Our instructor, local artist, Katherine Graham Sarlson, makes wonderful painted silk scarves and handmade soaps.  I've been friends with Kathy for a few years now, but I've never seen her silk painting techniques before.    Kathy explained to us that her son is having his Bar Mitzvah this year and it's traditional for this "coming of age" ceremony to be presented a tallit ( prayer shawl) as a gift for the occasion. The shawl is worn over the head to commune with God without distraction from the outside world.  (I think that's a lovely sentiment)  Kathy showed us the absolutely gorgeous shawl she painted for her son, but sadly I did not get a photo. Kathy's design was centered around her son's name, and that's we we did for our project.  Here are some other other photos from the workshop.

MY SCARF IN PROCESS

STRETCHED SCARVES BEING LOVINGLY DESIGNED AND PAINTED

OUR INSTRUCTOR, KATHY


MY FINISHED SCARF

A MOMENT OF SOLITUDE AND COMMUNE

Senior Day at the Mall was a real eye opener for me.  Ummmmm..........Mom told me if I don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.  OK.

TINA AND CHRIS SAVE THE DAY AND MAKE IT TOLERABLE!

I think it would be down right rude of me not to share some flower pictures with you!  After all, it consumed a lot of time this week and I know you want to see a sampling of some of the things I planted this year.

DECK WINDOW BOX

PETUNIA

BEGONIA

ANGELONIA

LOBELIA

PETUNIAS

I ended the week with another art reception at Lakeland Community College Art Gallery.  It was the annual juried art show and there were some FABULOUS pieces of work displayed.  The place was PACKED, so I didn't get as many photos as I would have liked.  I did manage to get photos of three pieces that I really liked.



So that was my week.  I hope you had an adventurous, fun-filled week as well!  It's a beautiful day and I think I can finally get into my journal and have some fun.  There are still more flowers to plant, but I think they can wait until tomorrow.  Have a wonderful Sunday and remember, "Don't let the garden bugs bite!"

CELEBRATE * LOVE * CREATE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails