This photograph (courtesy of dear hubby) is one such example. I've yet to see even one person notice these signs posted in half a dozen locations along the beach.
I love the fact that "Have fun on the water!" shows up as florescent green in this photo. I can't help but think, "surely I'm not the only person who sees the irony in this?" Let's see here....EIGHT different conditions/images under which one should avoid going in the water. OK. maybe the real key here is the preposition, on.
Unless you're Jesus, I don't think you're going to be on the water unless you're in a boat or other flotation device (clearly prohibited at the beach according to other signs). Does this little word have to do with liability? Hmmmmm...... I digress.
Anyway, things like this send The Muse off on a tangent of sound and imagery. The images won't necessarily end up on a journal page, but the thought process goes something like this:
- "Oh, my gosh! People are still dragging their kids into the water. They don't even see these signs!"
- I hear the "Jaws" theme music playing in my head
- I get a visual of those awful, plaid polyester fabrics from the 70s
- I get another visual - this one of the "Jaws" Amitty billboard
- I begin thinking about what a blue-green algae monster might look like
- I think of a title, "Stay OUT of the Water!!!"
- I do a Google search for more information, and find "High Quality Danger Signs" to download.
- I bookmark the site for future reference
- I file it under "Funnies" in my mind and continue mulling over it every time I go to the beach.
And that's the blessing and curse of it all. It's a blessing that creativity is sparked by the most unlikely things in the most unlikely places. It's a curse that I'll think this topic to death - or if I'm lucky I'll think it to the page through journaling.
CELEBRATE * LOVE * CREATE
STAY OUT OF THE WATER!!!!