Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tuesday Tips and Techniques: Water Soluble Travel Palette

So my travel journal is almost ready to go.  I realize that I still need a sketch pad or small journal to carry with me.  There is also a matter of supplies, and I know that I don't want to carry a lot of things with me.  What in the world am I going to do for COLOR?

I don't want to haul a bag of acrylic tubes.  I don't want to use watercolor or colored pencils that require constant sharpening.  I'm not fond of the idea of  taking along watercolors either.  What am I to do?  Enter the brilliant mind of my journaling friend, Jennibellie!  If you've not seen her blog, let me take you by the hand and lead you there.  She's a wonderful artist, and if anyone knows about traveling, it's Jen!

I was browsing her YouTube channel when I found the solution to my problem.  Take a look.  She just uploaded this to YouTube on July 6th - (just in time for me to prepare my travel journal!)  How's that for synchronicity?


Isn't that an absolutely brilliant idea!  It's the perfect solution for me, and I started making my travel palette today.

First of all, I have to show you the buy of the century!  I found these 3.5" x 5.5" journals at our local Marc's for $.99!  They are made exactly like a Moleskin journal, right down to the way the first two and back two pages don't open all the way ( as Jen described in her video), the expandable pocket in the back, and the elastic enclosure.  I bought 5 of them, and will be including 1 or 2 of them in my October giveaway! (That's another post!)  The paper is about the same weight as a Moleskin, but it's smooth without any tooth.




I really like Jen's book idea, but I work MESSY, and I prefer to hold my palette while I work.  I began making a book but suddenly realized I thought this would work better for me if I made individual cards.  So I re-purposed a used greeting card envelope to hold the cards, covering the envelope with some scrapbook paper scraps...



and then I began to make my cards.  Here's one card of my cheapo Reeves, and a card of Neo Colors.  I'm still going to make Neo Color II cards and watercolor pencil cards.


They fit nice and snug into their holder and slide easily beneath the journal elastic.  VOILA!  Now I can quickly paint in my little journal with the use of water brushes.  I plan on tearing pages out of the journal leaving 1/4" strip of each page attached to the spine.  I can tip-in more paper when I get home and I won't be doing any damage to the spine.


If fits perfectly into my hand.  I'm excited to know that I'll be prepared for journaling on my vacation.  I just can't believe how organized I am for this - and well ahead of schedule.  Don't ever let anyone tell you that miracles don't happen!

CELEBRATE * LOVE * CREATE

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this is "BEAUTIFUL!" :]
    Such a deal too... are you kidding me .99!! Good for you.
    Dont you just love it, when you score on art goodies? :]

    Thank you for sharing. This looks very interesting.
    Love artful projects, keeps me inspired.
    It's Jenny amazing, such a sweet gal.

    Take care ~xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, April. I can't believe I was able to score such a great deal on those journals! My luck doesn't usually run in that direction. LOL xoxo

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! Some people are so innovative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it, Geri? Jenny is amazingly creative with art materials!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails