Monday, January 10, 2011

Playing with Colored Pencil

My art goodies that arrived last week included Prismacolor Premier colored pencils and Verithins.   I've tried different brands of colored pencils, and I have to say that for the money, I like Prismacolor hands down.  They are richly pigmented and go down very smoothly.


I left my jammies on and piled into the bed with a new journal, my pencils and hot, steamy coffee.  Armed with my supplies, I watched a couple movies beginning with Gorillas in the Mist and ending with another favorite, Good Will Hunting.

I didn't have anything in mind except to play with colors. I felt like a little kid with the "big box" of Crayolas!  I really splurged and bought the box of 72.  My first box of Prismacolors had been a gift of 36.  The first thing I had to do was sharpen them.  I love that the tin included a sharpener.  I bet I can keep track of this one - maybe!


I randomly began sketching in the leaf.  From there, I drew the eye at the bottom and the page evolved from there.  I experimented with layering different colors for skin tones, and I included about 5 different colors for the eye.  I continued with the stripes and glass reflections and ended with the fish.

It's not complete and perhaps never will be as I've grown bored with it already.  What I haven't grown bored with are the colored pencils.  I really liked using the Verithins for details such as the eyelashes and I think they would also work nicely for adding fish scale too.

I hope you're inspired to pull out your colored pencils or other supplies that you haven't used in a while.  Let your imagination run free and embrace your creativity!  As always, "Celebrate, LOVE, and Create!"

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful spread, very creative. I love the fish in there. I bought a set of 12 Prismacolors but maybe I didn't experiment with them enough because I did not find them to be any better than the usual ones. I was disappointed. Maybe I will try again.
    Hugs and blessings to you Angelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the prismacolor pencils also, and I just started using them again as well--they're wonderful--very theraputic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails