Friday, January 7, 2011

Playing with Oil Pastels

I treated myself to some new art supplies last week and they arrived in the mail a couple days ago.  I wanted to try something new, so one of the things I ordered was Pentel Oil Pastels.  I also stopped by my local craft store to pick up some more of my new favorite Canson Mix Media pads (on sale!), and some odorless turpenoid.


 I've had a good time experimenting with my new oil pastels.  The first application was with a mixed media piece.  I had the next spread in my journal already prepped with acrylic paints.  I also had a black and white photo from a 2010 calendar that begged to be cut apart and included.  I discovered that these pastels are a little too transparent for my liking in using on top of acrylics - especially the yellows.  I really thought they would be more opaque.  I did like the way the black and white worked on my spread.


I liked the mystical feel of the spread, but I was eager to start with a white background.  I wanted to experiment with blending multiple colors together and I wanted to see how the turpenoid worked to blend the colors together.



Applied to a white background,  I discovered the colors to be vibrant and easily blended with the turpenoid.  I liked that some of the application marks remained even after blending with the turpenoid.  (Note to self:  brush-up on perspective!)

I continued my experimentation by completing a landscape inspired by a photo I'd taken at Headlands Beach on New Year's Eve.



Headlands Beach Photograph Inspiration




Experimental Journal Page

I don't like it, but I try to show you the good, the bad AND the ugly!  At any rate, I got a better feel for how much turpenoid to use and how thickly or thinly to apply the color.

My final page was this logo I did for my "Messin' With The Masters" series.  I used the pastels without the use of any turpenoid and applied them in short strokes as I imagined Van Gogh might.  I used my fingers to blend a few areas and applied more strokes on top of that.  I had a lot of fun with this project.


So - what's my verdict on the Pentel Oil Pastels?  I'm glad I bought them and I'm happy to have them in my  arsenal of journaling supplies.  I think they're a good value for the money and I think you'll enjoy using them too if you haven't already tried them.

Until we meet again, snuggle in from the cold and remember to "Celebrate, LOVE, and Create!"

2 comments:

  1. Oh Angelia I LOVE these pages - I have never used oil pastels before. How does the turpenoid work? I love the results of your work, the first spread is absolutely gorgeous!
    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips--I've never tried the turpenoid, but after seeing what you did--I really want to try this. I've worked with oil pastels a little, and I do love the results. I think all of your artwork is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails