Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Put It In a Pocket!

Do you have items that you'd like to add to your journal, but would also like to be able to remove them?  Why not put them in a pocket?



I wanted to put my vegetable plant tags in my gardening journal, but I wanted to be able to take them out to read them for future reference.  The tags are cute, and I thought they would make great looking tabs, too.




I decided that I would make pockets for the tags so that I could easily remove them again.  I wanted the tags to fit snuggly inside their pockets, so I traced the pocket size around a tag.




I took a piece of cardstock that I had laying around (an art reception invitation), and traced a basic pocket shape around the tag.  I added about 1/4 inch around the bottom and sides.




I tore a page from my large journal and quickly scribbled and wet-blended, Neocolor II crayons in similar colors to the pre-watercolored page where I would be placing my pockets.  I decided that I wanted a contrasting cuff at the top of my pocket, so I used Neocolor IIs on the backside of the page in a strip as wide I wanted the cuff.  The green color will pick up the color from the adjoining page.






I cut my template out and traced it onto the sheet prepared for the pockets.  I didn't trace the fold lines because it was easy to see where to fold the pocket by the diagonal cuts on the corners.






I cut out all the pockets and folded the sides and bottom in.  I checked the fit with the garden tags and then I used double stick tape to the bottom and sides.




The pockets are on the inside of this flap, and the tops of the tags look like little tabs.  Aren't they cute?




Here's what the flap looks like when it's opened.  My garden tags fit snuggly into the pockets so I don't have to deal with the tags constantly slipping out of place.  I'm glad I decided to add the little cuff to the top of the pocket.  It brings nice color continuity to the pages.




Here's the completed flap.  I hope this inspires you to add pockets to pages in your journal.  Maybe we'll explore this idea again soon, because there are many variables on adding pockets to your pages.  I hope you had a great holiday weekend, and I hope you're having great fun as you "Celebrate, LOVE, and Create!"


PHOTO OF THE DAY


"White Iris" Photo by Keith Thompson

Keith captured this great photo of my white Irises as they began blooming yesterday.




2 comments:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It's a pleasure sharing the creative world of art journaling with you. I love hearing from you, so comments and questions are always welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails